30 September 2013

Graeme Claridge RIP

I was saddened to read in Aviation News that Graeme Claridge passed away on the 31st of August 2013.
 
Graeme was truly Mr Plane Spotter Hawkes Bay with a wonderful knowledge of the local aviation history. We exchanged quite a number of emails since I started my blog and he was always obliging and encouraging. He epitomised the best of aviation enthusiasts who want to share their interest with others.
 
I only met Graeme the once after flying on Air Napier's Gisborne-Wairoa-Napier courier service. http://3rdlevelnz.blogspot.co.nz/2012/11/air-napiers-east-coast-express.html... Graeme came out to the airport to meet me and we had a great yarn before I flew back to Auckland later that evening. He was such a personable man!
 
A few weeks ago I flicked him an email to see if he had photographed Air Napier's new Seneca ZK-NAP... He responded The aircraft in question ( X Massey MBB) should be airborne in about two weeks time still a lot of work to be done on her, health permitting and fingers crossed I will get some good pics of her on her first flight it sits in the hangar and because it was parked on the grass for a long time there is still some more work to be done. Great to hear from you, I hope all is well in your world at present.
 
I didn't pick up the significance of health permitting and sadly he passed away some 6 weeks later.
 
My sympathy to Graeme's family and friends.
 
Graeme, may you rest in peace

 

2 comments:

  1. I met Graeme a few years back at the Cook Strait Area Rally and can only echo your sentiments. A true enthusiast. RIP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alan Peters. I have only just heard of Graeme’s passing. Very sad indeed. Graeme and I worked together in the early 2000. He was a true gentleman a friend and his customers loved him. God bless my friend ☺️

    ReplyDelete